Oh how quickly we forget
1. I forgot that babies cry to let us adults know it needs something. Waa! I need food! Waa! I’m not being looked at! Waa! No one’s touching me! Waa! I think I have a gas bubble! Waa! Luca stuck a sticker on my nose! Thank God that’s not happening at my house. (Actually she hardly cries except for all of the above. And at 5 o’clock when Matt’s holding her.)
2. I forgot my boobs existed. Now they’re full of fun and aching to let the world know. Or just aching.
3. I forgot that my uterus had stretched to accommodate a baby the size of a small watermelon. Therefore, when it unstretches and tries to get back to normal size, it takes 9 months of aggression out on me in a week.
4. I forgot how easy it is to get up every 3 hours. After having weeks of insomnia, it’s much easier to get up, feed and change Mae then pass back out. I’m not saying I like it, but it’s better than what was.
5. I forgot how much my bladder hates me. Slap me in Depends and call me Alma.
6. I forgot how wonderful it feels to hold a little baby in my arms. To watch her little face move into expressions that can only be described as “Grumpy Old Man.” To know that I get to mold her into a little lady and help her grow up.
7. I forgot how good it feels to wear normal clothes and not feel like a whale. And it feels SO good to know that all my obsessive trips to the gym paid off because not only was my recovery a snap, but I feel like I look normal again. And for that, I’m proud of myself. (And yes, for the record, I was on the treadmill the day I went into labor.)
8. I forgot just how beautiful life can be. And has been, since I met Matt.